The Zoology museum is the oldest Sicilian zoological museum. Founded in 1853 by Prof Andrea Aradas, it was born as the Cabinet of the Chair of Zoology and its initial nucleus consisted of the collections of the members of the Gioenia Academy of Natural Sciences, donated to the museum being established.
It was housed until 1920 in the central building of the University of Catania, in Piazza Università and only in 1923 was it moved to its current premises in via androne, in a liberyi-style building specially built for the purpose.
Currently the museum with an adjoining "Butterfly House" is part of the university museum system (SiMuA).
Pictured below Prof. Aradas.